Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Slow cooked Thai Pork


This recipe is A-ma-zing! I found it last week, had to make it, and I am so glad I did. It was really easy, and so delicious- everyone ate it right up. I have noted changes I made to the original recipe in italics.

Slow Cooked Thai Pork

The pork is a perfect match for the blend of teriyaki,peanut and lime sauce, with just a little spicy kick.

Ingredients:

2 pounds boned pork loin, cut 4 pieces
2 cups julienne-cut red bell pepper (I used 2 whole red peppers)
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
(I used Soy Vay "Very Very Teriyaki")
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp crushed red pepper
(I used 1/2 tsp because my kids have sensitive tongues)
2 garlic cloves, minced
(we like garlic, so I put in about 4 cloves- crushed)
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

6 cups hot cooked basmati rice
(I don't like bismati, so I used Jasmine)
1/2 cup chopped green onions (I used 1 bunch)
2 Tbsp chopped, dry-roasted peanuts
1 lime


1. Trim fat from pork and discard.

2. Place pork, bell pepper, and next 4 ingredients in an electric slow cooker
(I didn't realize that the PB wasn't one of the first 4 ingredients, and mistakenly added it at this point. It still was delicious, so I'm not sure it makes a difference)

3. Cover with lid, and cook on low-heat setting 8 hours.

About an hour before you're ready to serve:

4. Cook rice. While it is cooking, remove pork from slow cooker, and coarsely chop. Add peanut butter to liquid in slow cooker; stir well to combine. Stir in pork.

5. Chop onions, put in a bowl to use as a garnish
(I don't like raw onions, even if they are green, so I added them to the pot so they could cook for a little bit)

6. Chop peanuts, cut lime into wedges, and place in bowls for garnishes.

7. Serve pork on top of rice. Top each serving with onions and peanuts. Garnish with lime wedges.

4 comments:

Amy from Occupation: Mommy said...

Oh, that sounds so good...

sanityseeker said...

yum!! i might have to try this. i'm not a huge pork fan, but i cooked some in the crock pot a couple weeks ago and it turned out so soft and yummy.

siouxzie4 said...

i just googled the recipe & your blog came up.. thanks for posting this! making me hungry!

words and streets said...

thanks for this! can't wait to try it!