Friday, March 6, 2009

Spring Ahead!

It's March, and I've got the itch- the gardening itch. I always feel a sense of anticipation and excitement this time of year as spring feels like it is literally around the next corner. I can smell it in the air, and see evidence of its imminent arrival. Like these little crocus tips poking through the snow by our front walkway. Through the cold weeks of winter, I have warmed myself by spending hours poring over gardening catalogues, and online gardening websites. I have made lists of what new plants I want to purchase, and mentally envisioned where I will plant them. Today I was thrilled to discover Costco selling bags of tubers and bulbs. The bright pictures of flowering glads, dahlias and peonies were too tempting to pass up, and I had to hold myself back from buying more. It will still be several weeks before I can go outside and start the real gardening work, but I thought I would try to force some forsythia. After about a week inside they are just about to bloom, and I will soon get my first taste of spring. Just a little appetizer, before the feast.

1 comment:

EEEEMommy said...

Lovely! I'm enjoying watching the spring flowers poke their heads up! How funny yours look there in the snow!! :)