Monday, April 27, 2009

The beginning of the end...

It's been a long 6 1/2 years as my Dad has fought his battle with Multiple Myeloma. This past winter has been especially hard on him, and he has been weak for awhile, but the rapid decline we have witnessed in the past few days has been different. My sisters and brother were coming into town so that we could celebrate my parents' 25th wedding anniversary this weekend. Although their true anniversary isn't until the end of June, we decided a couple of months ago to celebrate it now since the out of town siblings were planning a visit anyway. Last Friday afternooon my brother Andrew, his wife Erin, and Mom took Dad down to the ER because he had become increasingly disoriented and was experiencing tremors and choking. Once he was admitted, our weekend plans shifted from a celebration at their home, to the hospital room. We all gathered around and shared memories from the past 25 years while Dad lay in the midst of it, eyes open and looking at us, but not talking or responding. By Sunday his physical state had further deteriorated, and his eyes were closed and he didn't really respond at all. This morning the decision was made to move him to hospice, and all the "kids" gathered at HUP. We took turns crying, talking to Dad, and holding his hand, as well as just talking about plans for the next few days. It was heartbreaking, and exhausting, and I can't even write down what I feel right now because my head just aches with tears- both shed and unshed. I don't know how quickly or slowly this will go, but it is hard to believe that he won't be with us soon. I know it has been years since his diagnosis, and this is a day we have dreaded, but now that it is almost here, it is still uncomprehensible. For now we pray and wait.

**For a more detailed medical description, you can read his blog

6 comments:

The Family K. said...

I'm so sorry for you and your family. This must be so tough. Know that we are praying for you.

Mehera said...

Oh Daisy, this is so difficult. Please know that we are with you in spirit and we love you. It looks like we will be there soon and can give you real hugs but for now just know that you are never far from our thoughts. Please pass on my love to everyone.

EEEEMommy said...

Oh, Daisy!!! I'm so so sorry, friend! Having switched from Explorer to Firefox, I had lost the link to your dad's blog. I wondered what the circumstances of your get-together this weekend were. It obviously wasn't the weekend you guys had planned, but how good that you were ALL together at the climax of this long ordeal!
I'm praying for strength and peace for you. May our gracious Heavenly Father sustain you with His amazing grace.
I love you, friend, and will continue to pray for you all. Give you mom a hug from me!

Grace and Peace,
Angel

Amy from Occupation: Mommy said...

Daisy, my heart is aching for you. You will all be in our prayers.

Bala Waxworks said...

Daisy,

Bob and I have been thinking of you and the entire family since hearing that your dad wasn't doing so well at the Valentine's family get-together. I keep "seeing him" in my memory in your old backyard at Noah's baptism party and how happy and rested he was despite the treatments he was undergoing at that time. In fact, just about all of my memories of your dad at family functions were blessed with his pleasantness and bright smile. It truly has been amazing to see him "well" for so many years of battling his cancer. We will miss him terribly, and will grieve his loss with you, but more importantly is that he will not be forgotten. Our hearts and prayers go to everyone at this sad occasion. luv always, L

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry Daisy. I have so many good memories of your dad. He was one of the first people who welcomed us into the church. We will be praying for you here.