Saturday, February 26, 2005

Baby Elijah


OK, so I opened an email from Xanga today, and lo an behold I discovered that I had subscribers! I couldn't believe it. I was so embarrassed-- my cheeks were actually hot. I guess I never expected anyone to read what I wrote ( I know, that's kind of the whole point of this blog thing). I thought I could quietly log on and read others entries without them coming to mine. Or at least hone my writing skills for a couple of months in expectation of future subscribers. Now I feel a ton of pressure to perform, and write entries that are interesting/deep/ funny!! Just a little disclaimer-- I am not Catherine of the "Ben and Birdy" journals (on babycenter.com). That being said, enjoy the little pieces of my life that you find within these pages.

Anyway, today I went to visit my sister, Sandy, and her new baby, Elijah in the hospital. It always gives me a rush of excitement to walk onto the maternity floor. The newborn cries coming from behind partially closed doors, glimpses of recovering mothers, proud fathers, balloons, flowers, and even familiar nurses from my own 2 stays bring back a rush of memories. Memories that on one hand remind me why I don't want to be pregnant again for a little while, but also bring a little leap of anticipation for the next time I give birth. Walking into Sandy's room, seeing her on the bed nursing the baby, looking tired, but also so happy, was wonderful.

Little Elijah has dark hair and full round cheeks. I am told he also has rolls on his legs(which I personally love on a baby). He weighed 9 lbs, 1 ounce at birth so he is one "big" guy. He looked around with wide eyes, taking everything in. I didn't stay for long, just enough time to say hello and hold the baby. I must admit, when he started crying (that very distinct new-born wail) it was nice to hand him back to his mom, and then say good bye. It was equally nice, or even more so, to go home to my children and breathe a sigh of relief that I don't have a newborn, at least not again for a little while.


No comments: