Wednesday, November 29, 2006

22 Weeks

I went to the Dr. today, and the visit was pretty anticlimactic. I've been waiting for this visit to give me the healthy thumbs-up. I went in, and it was the usual-- measure the belly, listen to the heartbeat. The doctor then seemed done, and asked if I had any questions. "Uh.. I've been on bedrest the last couple of weeks..." She just smiled and said, "For bleeding right? There hasn't been any more? Good, you're fine." I had to double check, "You mean I can go about my life as usual? No restrictions?" The answer was no, and she was out the door.

Well, good news, to be sure, but it seemed a little casual, unscientific. I guess I was hoping for something definitive, I don't know what exactly, but some sort of medical reassurance that my body was OK to continue normal activities.

I am thankful, though, that I feel healthy, and that the baby is fine, and that I can resume "my life". It was hard to sit back and let others do for me the past few weeks. Sure, some duties like changing dirty diapers I was glad to hand over, but I found that I missed taking care of my family. I wanted to get up in the morning and make breakfast, to clean the house, do laundry, all the mundane things that make up my day to day. I guess I didn't realize what joy it is to be able to do those things for the children, but especially for Ed. I know I have felt from time to time that I have felt that the bulk of the housework falls on me, and that I wish Ed would "do more". But being forced to sit on the couch and watch Ed get dinner ready, clean up, get the kids ready for bed, all without my help was almost painful to watch, since I knew how hard he had worked all day long, and how tired he must be. I realized how important it is for us to share the evening duties, and that we really are a team.

The baby is also getting more active. We are able to feel the kicks from the outside now, which is always cool. I am finding myself slipping into a sort of nostalgia, knowing that this pregnancy will be my last. Never again will I feel these little kicks, or carry a child of mine inside my body. I just have to remind myself of that when I am feeling tired, achy or sore. Four more months!!

No comments: