Thursday, June 12, 2008

Pass the carrots, please!

I have been trying to lose K baby weight for the past year. It has not come off so easily this time around. I am still 10 lbs heavier than I was when N was 1, and even then I wanted to lose 10 lbs. So I decided I needed to exercise in a way that I would keep at it. I do have a gym membership that is currently on hold because I honestly can't find the time to go consistently. I am hoping that I will be able to get back soon, but for now, and for the past 3 months, I have been waking up at 5:45 am to go walking. I knew that if I was going to keep it up, I would need accounability, and the best accountability is a walking buddy. So I convinced my neighbor, to join me. And we have been really good about not skipping. I must admit though, mornings that she isn't able to go, I sleep in.

Anyway, walking 1/2 hour 5x a week does not melt off the weight. It does build a healthier lifestyle, but the weight does not melt. I needed something to kick it up a notch, and that something arrived yesterday in the form of a life-insurance rate. I currently am uninsured, and so we just got around to the application. Apparently I am just on the edge of the lowest rate, providing that I don't gain a pound. Literally, a pound. My physical is next Thursday, which will include a weigh-in. So in order to make sure that I hit that target, with pounds to spare, I have decided to go on a super-diet this week, and then continue to watch what I eat in the upcoming weeks in order to get to my goal weight(s).

I called my friend, PCP, who has had some experience with calorie counting and she informed me that I have to limit my intake to 1,200 calories a day or 20 WW points. Then she informed me that I had already eaten more than half my daily allotment in breakfast and lunch. This just about made me faint, especially since I was feeling faint with hunger already, and thought that I had done really well so far. I mean, I felt like I was STARVING, as well as a little light headed and weak! Anyway, she told me some helpful things that I could eat for each meal. Unfortunately her #1 breakfast suggestion-plain nonfat yogurt with honey and fruit is not at all appealing to me. I like yogurt, but nonfat plain is unpalatable to me. So we came up with another alternative- egg whites. Lots of protein, but only 1 point for 3 whites. That seemed more doable. We then discussed how hard dinner is going to be- how to prepare a super healthy meal that tastes good, and the whole family will enjoy? Not an easy thing to do. I plan on looking at some Cooking LIght recipes to see if I can find ones that will work. A couple of other helpful hints she gave me for surviving this restricted diet is to eat lots of carrots, a bag of fat free microwave popcorn, lots of water, and I can even treat myself to some Trader Joes chocolate meringue cookies. Thank goodness for carrots- I think I consumed about half a bag this afternoon. I think I will have to go out and buy the jumbo Costco bag tomorrow! All that being said, I only have a week to survive the worst, and then I don't have to be so strict. What will be the hardest is this weekend- I have a birthday party to attend where I have been forbidden to have any cake, and then there is our family Father's Day lunch on Sunday. To stay disciplined, I need to keep my eye on the goal, and my bathing suit! Do you have any weight loss tips or ideas? How do you make it work?

7 comments:

Sullivan's Mom said...

I also am struggling with the baby weight. I'm still a whopping 20 pounds over where I was before Sullivan. (Now 2 summers ago!!) I've learned, though, that my current state of eating and exercising (which I've always done) simply maintain what used to be a respectable (and thinner) weight. The ONLY option, sadly, is to reduce calories and increase exercise. It really becomes easier. There are things in the refrigerator that just aren't an option anymore. Bread and sweets, mostly. And, since that, I've lost over 10 pounds in the past 6 weeks, which I'm pretty proud of. Anyway, I have exactly the same struggle, so I get it.

Becky said...

One tip that helped me (back when I was trying to lose weight pre-baby, not now since I am still breastfeeding) is whenever I feel hungry drink a full glass of water (or non sweetened iced tea) then chew a piece of gum. Something about the chewing and the mint suppresses your appetite and the water helps you feel fuller. I always had trouble drinking enough water per day before that anyway and sometimes your brain can confuse thirsty for hungry. This helped me through those afternoon hours that seem to scream for snacking. Best wishes for lots of success! (and i don't think you look like you need to lose that much weight, you hide it well!)

EEEEMommy said...

Ugh! I was just talking to a friend from church who has lost 15+ pounds doing Weight Watchers since the first of the year. When she started she was the exact same height and weight as I am. Now she's 15lbs lighter. Makes me wish I'd joined her. I get really crazy counting calories though. It's an ugly thing.
My only advice is to enjoy those fresh fruits and veggies from the CSA and see if you can squeeze in an extra workout with a DVD or something in addition to your walks this week. Try kickboxing. ;)
Oh and by the way...Good for you!!!

EEEEMommy said...

P.S. I thought of a couple of natural ideas. Stevia is non-caloric herb which is a natural sugar substitute. Bee Pollen is called the world's most perfect food and can be helpful in weight loss in addition to numerous other health benefits. I got some at the farmer's market from a local beekeeper although I can't say yet how helpful it is since I haven't been consistent at taking it...
I'm still a newbie to this whole natural/organic thing, but I'm sure there's a lot more out there.

Adam and Hayley said...

Water intake helps. I bought a BPA free bottle by Camelbak that has a bite valve straw and I LOVE it! It helps me to sip water all day long.

We've been meaning to do life insurance too, and it didn't even occur to me that my weight would have something to do with the rate. Extra reason to workout and eat right, I suppose! The tough thing about having a baby and trying to workout is there never seems to be anytime, except after she goes to bed. I am so not in the mood to run after 8pm though.

chaps said...

I have heard many people promote the H2O thing......so give that a try.
I subscribe to Cooking Light and a few days ago we had the most amazing salmon dinner. I put it on my blog. And throw some peppers and onions on the grill and potatoes. As long as you only toss them in a low cal/low fat salad dressing, eat 'em up.
Also, I don't know if it's healthy to do this, but I don't have much salt in my diet so I don't pay attention, but whenever I think something tastes a bit too healthy, I add Jane's crazy salt. It is great.
And by the way, you do hide it well. And also, you can do it! Just the discipline alone of rising early and walking is a big deal.

Soo said...

Protein and lots of veggies seem to work well. Only complex carbohydrates (whole wheat bread-watch they don't have fructose corn syrup, brown rice, basmati rice). Lots of water. Fruit counts as a carbohydrate so limit them also. I actually tried South Beach once and it worked. I did a modified version the 2nd time around.