Saturday, February 7, 2009

Date Night

After a particularly busy Christmas season. Ed turned to me one day and asked when our next date night would be. I said,"Well, first you have to ask me out, and then I will schedule it in". Although I was kind of joking, I kind of wasn't. Our weekends tend to fill up with activities at an alarming rate. First off, Fridays are always taken by our C-Group that meets in our home. Sundays are usually low key, since it is a school night. And so that means Saturdays are the nights that we invite other families over for dinner, or to plan a family movie night, or to go to someone else's house. December was completely crazy, with some nights being double and even triple booked. It has slowed down a bit, but Ed asked me back in early January when we could have a date night, and this was the first possible weekend.

It is something that is long in coming. I am a little embarrassed to admit that the last time we went out without the kids was Ed's birthday...in June. I don't think we even celebrated our anniversary this year! We also have some movie tickets we wanted to use at the local theater that we received for Christmas...in 2007. Yes, it is sad- we don't get out much, as a couple. I could probably count on 1 hand the amount of times that we have paid a babysitter so that we could go out by ourselves, since Ellie was born. We have gone out other times- when family has babysat, and we have also had plenty of babysitters who watched our kids when C-Group wasn't at our house, or for other functions when children were not welcome. It is just something that we have not made a priority, and maybe a little bit because I feel a little guilty spending money on dinner/movie and a sitter. It makes for an expensive night. But when your husband has to ask you out a month in advance, it is time to make the time. So tonight we will leave our children in a teenager's capable hands(!) as we go out to dinner (!!) and a movie(!!!). I am quite looking forward to it, and only hope that we can find something to talk about-- other than the kids!

4 comments:

Amy from Occupation: Mommy said...

Oh, fun! What movie are you going to see?

We worked out a babysitting swap with our neighbors. Last month, they went out and we watched their son and then this month they will watch our girls while we go out. We, too, do not get out enough without the kids.

Becky said...

Yay! How exciting. :) Bill and I are already falling into that habit of not going out since Aubrey was born. We haven't been to the movie theater and we have been out to dinner without her 3 times... We promised each other we will be better after the move when we have my parents so close by to babysit whenever. Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful date!

Bala Waxworks said...

I hate to break the stereotype... but having "dateless" years go by doesn't always mean having kids. Bob and I go just as long between date-nights without having "kids" as the reason. Many years go by without any trips to the movie theater... I used to say "the last movie Bob and I went to see in the theater was Titanic" and I meant it!! Fortunately, that's no longer true. (Sydney White- last summer or longer??) And the times we go out to eat together as a couple can span 4-8 mos apart. But, I do agree that when you get the chance to "date" your spouse... those are times to treasure! ~L

chaps said...

hey i'm glad you're getting out, and realizing the need to...but remember... "dating" can be cheap! Just think back to your college days when you were dating. Gotta get creative, adn c'mon Daisy -- you are a very creative person, so get rid of the "expensive" plea, take advantage of the family sitters, and get out there with your man!