Saturday, November 7, 2009

Soccer Saturdays


I always looked with pity those parents who were stuck on the sidelines all Saturday morning, in the rain, cold, blazing heat. I would cruise on by in my dry/warm/cool car thanking my lucky stars that I was not one of them...yet. I knew the day was coming, but I figured that maybe Ed could take over that aspect of parenting, and I could stay at home. Then E started soccer in kindergarten, and I found that I couldn't really stay in the comfort of my home in good conscience while I made my 5 year old go out and brave the elements for an hour of running. If I was going to put her through torture, the least I could do was cheer her on. And she did think it was torture, so after serving her time and putting in two years, she was allowed to move on to other pursuits while we had a blessed year of soccer free Saturdays. (Can you tell I am not a big sports fan?)

And then it was N's turn. The first few weeks were pleasant enough, with sun, moderate temperatures and our whole family went out to the field to support him. And then it started to cool down, and we had a couple of rainy Saturdays. So there I sat,
that parent, huddled on the sidelines in my canvas chair, trying to shield my body as well as KK's with the umbrella, cheering for my sodden son as he chased the ball. N doesn't seem to mind the weather, and cheerfully heads out to play each Saturday. He seems to enjoy the game, so I have a feeling we have many years ahead of us. Even though I don't love the game, I love the player.

3 comments:

Amy from Occupation: Mommy said...

I totally agree with you about soccer. Fortunately, A didn't really like it so she only did one year. And again fortunately G missed the cutoff for age (she had to be 5 by August 1 but her birthday is the 28th) so we have another year off. But she desperately wants to play and I think she will love it. But there is not much cuter than a 5 year old dressed for soccer! N looks adorable!!

EEEEMommy said...

We had some very very cold soccer games this season! But I absolutely love love love sitting on the sidelines, cheering on my kids. I'm such a spectator!

N looks adorable! :)

Bala Waxworks said...

I haven't been on the sidelines cheering since Ed and Jim played for a short while. It wasn't encouraged after awhile when the coaches were telling the players to "take the knees out" as a defensive move! Hopefully, the coaches are less aggressive in N's experience with soccer. Let me know his schedule and whereabouts so I can possibly join you! I have my own "soccer-mom" chair :) luv, L