Friday, July 9, 2010

July 4th





This year we decided to stay home for the Fourth, since we had been away the past two years. I love the festive feel of the holiday, and it was really nice to celebrate in Glenside again. We started off the day at church with a joint service where the energy of the worship was awesome. Then I went to my mom's house to get the house ready for the picnic. We moved tables and chairs up to the porch, made flower arrangements, and gallons of lemonade.





Around 4:00 people started arriving. We had invited several of our friends, and most of them could make it. We spent the next 3 hours on the porch, in the front yard and on the curb eating, talking, and watching the parade.

When I tell people that the parade is two hours long, I don't think they really believe me until they see it! It is a pretty great parade, and it is always fun to see the New Life float coming down the street. The worship team sings songs while volunteers hand out freeze pops to the crowd.

After the parade was over, several of the families stayed behind to help with the clean-up, and then we all headed up to the highest point in Glenside to watch the fireworks- the Burger King parking lot! We got there just in time to get parking spots, and then we set up camp for the next hour as we waited for it to get dark enough for the fireworks.

The time passed quickly as the kids played with sparklers and entertained each other.

Around 9:15 the show started, and it was well worth the wait.

All in all, it was a very satisfying day. I love the festivities, but even more I loved spending time with family and friends. For me, nothing can compare to celebrating the Fourth in Glenside.

1 comment:

Larisochka said...

FUN! I miss Glenside and all of you!!!