Monday, March 28, 2005

Happy Birthday to Me

So I am 30 today. I got a call from my mom wishing me a happy birthday, and she asked if it "felt" like my birthday. I realized that it hasn't felt like my birthday since high school. When I think of how a birthday should feel, I think back to my growing up years, and I remember waking up and coming down to a special breakfast of donuts. The whole family was gathered around the table and a pile of gifts next to my plate. We'd eat, and then I'd open up my presents before going off to school. We have many family pictures of those mornings, everyone with crazy "bed head", and the birthday child holding up a present with a big grin.

This morning was different, but still nice. Ed went to work a little later so that we could all go out to breakfast together. It was a treat to be able to spend a little extra time with him before the day started. The rest of the day has been pretty normal-- running errands, taking care of the children.

All day long I have been thinking about last year, and what I was going through. How I was having pretty strong contractions by now, and was getting ready to go to the hospital. I guess it's safe to say, I'd rather be spending my birthday this year running errands than giving birth.

It's funny having a child share your birthday with you. It's almost like I feel bad about celebrating my birthday because I am cutting in on his birthday. I know we'll eventually work out a system, but we're still trying to figure it out. Tonight at dinner we'll give him his presents.

No comments: