Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Recently I have been immersed in the world of Scotland. I am currently listening to Alexander McCall Smith's Scotland Street series on CD. I love his books, but I haven't actually read any of them. I started out with listening to The Number One Ladies Detective Agancy on CD, and enjoyed it so much that I listened to the other 5 books in the series. I think I enjoyed it because the narrator does such a good job of giving all the characters a voice, but especially the main character, Mma Ramotswe. The books really give the listener a feel for Botswana, and even a desire to visit. His books are definitely slower paced, but with plenty of wit mixed in. Anyway, once I finished the No. 1 Ladies Detective series I was going through withdrawal, so I requested the Scotland St. series from the library. I am currently listening to the last book in this series, and thoroughly enjoying it (one of the reasons I haven't been posting as often- I can't listen and write at the same time, so I have chosen to listen in my free time during naps). In addition to this, coincidentally, the most recent DVD to come up on our Netflix queue has been the BBC series "Monarch of the Glen". This has been a fun series to watch in conjuction with listening to the book because it gives me a feel for how Scotland looks, although the one takes place in the city of Edinburgh, and the other on a loch in the Highlands. But as a result, I am finding myself strangely attracted to the idea of a man in a kilt (I used to think it very strange, but now the picture of how handsome a Scottish man can look in his family kilt is oddly appealing to me). Also I catch myself saying things like "What's wrong with the wee bairn?" to K when she is crying or "Aren't you a bonny lass?". Now I just have to teach her to say "Aye, Mummy" in response.

1 comment:

EEEEMommy said...

You make me smile. I was the same while reading Frank McCourt's book, I started talking Irish. :)
We watched an entire presentation on the numerous and varied uses of the kilt. Who knew?
The only time I can listen to books is when we're traveling, and then it has to be one that's suitable and engaging for the kids.