Thursday, September 11, 2008

I thought yesterday was going to be my "lucky" day. I went for my morning walk and found $10. Excitedly, I walked in the door waving the bill for Ed who was at the computer googling GI stuff, and knew something was wrong. (He is never in front of the computer at that time of day) He told me of his discomfort, and some other symtoms and I said he definitely needed to call the Dr. As he showered, I googled a little and came up with some very scary stuff. Needless to say, I was anxious, but didn't want to jump to any conclusions. I kissed Ed good-bye before I left to go baby-sit. All morning he was on my mind, and I gave into a few tears, but mostly I just prayed.

The next I heard from him he was headed to the ER, with possible appendicitis. I was unable to go be with him since I had all the kids. My mom did come over to watch them when I took N to a pediatrician's appt. that he had, but she was unable to stay longer since she needed to be at go home to care for my dad. My original hope was that Ed's parents would join Ed at the hospital so that they would be able to keep me posted on his condition as well as give him support and company. Although I tried reaching Ed's parents, they were never home and I later remembered that they were on a day trip to NYC. So it ended up being a very stressful day for me as I waited by the phone to hear updates from Ed and any possible word from his parents that they had received my message and were on the way to the hospital. Around 5 John came to pick up his kids and I called my sister Sandy to see if she could watch my kids while I went to the hospital to check up on Ed. As I was driving my kids to Sand's house, Ed called and said he was being released. I turned around the car, came home and gave the kids baths before putting them to bed. Ed walked in soon after.

Apparently they didn't find anything abnormal in the CAT scan, but they put him on a clear liquid diet for 24 hours. They guessed it may be colitis, but even that they are not sure of. He will have to follow up with a GI specialist and see what the next step is. I am so thankful that he is home, and there wasn't an emergency surgery yesterday, but my heart is still full of fear and worry for Ed's health. This is his second ER visit in less than a year and it is worrisome. I just need to trust in the Lord and that he will be with us no matter what comes.


EEEEMommy said...

What an anxious day!
I'm sorry I didn't get to read your post yesterday and pray for you then, but I'm praying now that you guys can find the root issue. Praise the Lord he didn't need surgery.

Grace and Peace,

William's Family said...

Glad to hear that things weren't as bad as feared. We'll continue to keep him in prayer. It must have been quite a scary day for everyone.

JoshHan said...

:( Hope you guys all get thru this safely.