Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Summer begins

Today was my first official day of summer vacation. I am a free woman, or at least as free as I can be with two children, I suppose. But it is funny how babysitting has changed my perspective. Before, I thought that taking two children out and about to run errands was cumbersome. Then I experienced having four children. I was virtually trapped inside my house for the last 5 months, except for Bible study mornings. Then I would pack up all the kids (jackets, diaper bag, Bible Study bag etc...at least two trips) and buckle them all in, drive to church, take two trips to take everyone inside, deposit in classrooms, then finally collapse in my small group, grateful for some adult conversation. Then do everything in reverse to go home. Let me tell you, by the time I got home at 11:15 on Wednesday morning, I was ready for a nice long nap (that is, after getting lunch for everyone). So, I didn't get out much other than that.

But today, oh, sweet freedom. I got an impromptu call from Amy S. to come over for lunch and play. I was able to say yes. And then later I went shopping with the kids, and I was just so happy to be able to run errands in mid afternoon, that I didn't care that I had to bring them.

Poor E though. Yesterday after Peter and Erika left, she started to cry. She came in to me, tears streaming down her face,"I'm so sad that Peter won't be coming over for a long, long time. I waaant Peeeter!" I was able to reassure her that she would see him down at the shore throughout the summer, and then he'll be back in the fall. And I have to admit, I too will miss seeing Peter and Erika every day. But it's really nice just having two children again. Really nice.


No comments: