Thursday, August 11, 2005

swimming

We joined Pennbryn pool this summer and we have been going several times a week, during the day and evening (when Ed can join us after work). There is a baby pool with a whale slide/fountain, a midsized pool that goes from 2 1/2- 3 1/2 feet, and then the large pool that has swimming lanes, slides, and a diving board. We spend most of our time in the middle and baby pools. And although E enjoys swimming, she still refuses to put her face or head under. It is really frustrating, and nothing seems to work- bribery, threats, goggles- it doesn't change her mind. N is also resistant to getting too wet. He will happily play in the baby pool where he can stand by the side and pour water into buckets, and he will crawl all around the edge of the middle pool where the water overruns in a puddle onto the pavement, but he doesn't like going in deep and being submerged up to his shoulders. I have come to the conclusion that it is in the genes. I was fearful of water as a young child, and I must have passed that on to my children. I have seen other children half E's age dunk their heads under again and again, jump off the side, and splash around. This may be one of those things that they will outgrow, as I did, but it is hard to be patient and understanding. I don't know why I even give it a second thought. The kids are happy playing, and enjoy themselves when I am not trying to force them beyond their comfort level. I should just let them be, and when they are ready to move onto the next level, they will. I guess it just comes down to a pride issue on my part. I want them to have impressive swimming skills, so that I will then look good (as if it has anything to do with me!). So I guess I will relax these last few weeks of summer, and let my kids have fun doing what they want, and then try again next summer, and see if they are ready for the next step.

No comments: