Tuesday, November 8, 2005

Caramel Corn


Tonight it is my turn to bring a snack/dessert to minichurch, and so I decided on caramel popcorn. I have always loved caramel corn, but this recipe is the best I've ever had. The first time I had it was as a freshman in college. Angel's mom would make it and send it to her in big containers. Angel would bring it down to my room where we would sit on my bed eating, drinking lemonade, and talking into the night.

If you would like to try it, here is the recipe- it takes a while to make, but is totally worth the effort!

Alison, Angel, and me (notice the Country

Time lemonade on the shelf behind the bed)

Oven Caramel Corn

2 cups brown sugar

2 sticks margarine/butter

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

8-9 quarts popped corn (1 quart=4 cups)

Pop corn, don't salt, and place in a large turkey roaster (or 2 9x13 pans). Mix all the the ingredients except the soda in a medium saucepan. Stir until boiling, boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in soda until the foaming dies down. Pour over popped corn and stir to coat evenly. Bake at 200 for 1 1/2 hours, stir every 15 minutes to separate big clumps. Store in an airtight container.

No comments: