Tuesday, November 1, 2005

Halloween 05


For two months I planned for a Halloween party in our back yard. I could see it clearly in my mind- the backyard lit up with torches, fairy lights, pumpkins and a fire. Children running in their costumes, friends chatting in the cool of an October night. And miraculously, it all came together last night. I could not have asked for better weather. The day was warm, in the 70's and the night cool- in the sixties. The children had a wonderful time trick or treating. E, Grayson, and Hudson led the pack, running to the doors yelling "trick or treat!". Little Alice in her sweet Holly Hobby costume bringing up the rear, determined to do what the big kids were doing. She climbed up the steps and held out her bucket for the treats. N sat in his stroller enjoying a lollipop as I walked talking with one parent or another. Then we got back to the house where more guests arrived with their children. There were hotdogs and marshmallows to roast, pumpkins to find, and cider to drink. The children had such fun running up and down the dark yard. As hostess I didn't have much time to sit and talk, but it gave me pleasure to see everyone else having a good time. Also, being able to share the night and the experience with the McCoys there was a special gift I never expected when the party was first planned. God is good-- this was just an insignificant little party but he showered his blessings on it, more than I could have asked or imagined.

No comments: