Friday, August 8, 2008

8/8/8

I love fun number dates- I still remember sitting in school on 6/7/89 and writing that at the top of my paper. So it is fitting that I write a short post today, just so I can write the date!

I am also excited that the Olympics start today! My favorite is women's gymnastics, but I am also interested in swimming this time with the possibility of Michael Phelps winning 8 golds and becoming the most decorated Olympian athlete. I can't imagine the years of training that have gone into the making of an athlete of his caliber. I have never been athletic, and never felt that drive to train, nor possessed the self discipline to push myself past the pain. As a result, I have nothing but respect for all those athletes from all those countries who have made it to the Olympics. In that vein, I will also be rooting for those small countries who only have a few athletes in the games. These athletes, even if they don't win any medals, have already achieved an amazing accomplishment of qualifying to be in the Olympics. Another thing that I love about the Olympics is how the world comes together for two weeks as we are all caught up in the games and patriotism. In fact, my favorite part is the Opening Ceremonies, and I regret that I will not be able to watch them "live" this year-- we will be on the road tonight to go to Tom's River for the weekend (where there is no cable), so I will have to wait until Sunday night.

No comments: