Thursday, September 7, 2006

The Big Day

E's first day of school went really well. She woke up excited, and quickly got ready. Aunt Cara even came over to give her a little card and gift, which was a special way to start her day. I drove her to school, since it was the first day, and walked her inside. Her teacher was waiting in the hallway, greeting the students as they came in. I kind of stood off to the side for about ten minutes and watched Ellie as she waited to go to her classroom. She was kind of quiet, taking everything in, but she didn't seem anxious or fearful. I didn't actually see any children crying, although a couple of moms were shiny-eyed. After her neighborhood friend arrived, I said my good-byes and left.
All day long there was a definite void in our house, and I kept thinking about her, wondering what she was doing and how her day was going. Finally 3:20 rolled around and I went to pick her up. I can't tell you what a wonderful feeling it was to pull up and see her walking toward me, her little face beaming. I felt like I hadn't seen her in days, instead of hours. She gave a complete report of the day, and was able to answer all of my questions. She said her favorite part of the day was "Everything". This morning she woke up early again, and was eager to go. She was very excited to ride the bus, and went off happily for her second day (although poor N started crying when E got on the bus, saying, "N ride bus too!! N school!! "). I am just extremely thankful that she had a great time at school, and it puts me a little more at ease to know that she is happy and comfortable.

Aunt Cara visits in the morning
100_2631
All ready to go!!
100_2633
"Class of 2019", can you believe it?
100_2640
With her teacher, Miss Weihenmayer ("wine-mayor")
100_2641
Waiting in the hallway
100_2642

No comments: