Monday, September 11, 2006

The Disney Decision

Three years ago we took a family trip to Disney World with Ed's parents. We had a wonderful time, and decided that we would like to go with the rest of his family next time. So we started planning a trip for Spring 2007. We thought E and Peter would really love it, and economically speaking, N and Erika wold be free, yet old enough to have fun. We got Jim and Steph, Linda and Bob (Ed's sister and husband), and Ed's parents on board with the idea. Since then there has been much anticipation on E's part, as well as ours. We have all really been looking forward to this trip. Well, as you know, our "plans" to have a baby earlier this year did didn't actually happen. So as each month passed, we realized we were getting closer and closer to a "deadline" if we wanted to make it to Disney. That deadline passed, and we decided that we needed to put Disney on hold and keep trying for a baby. So here we are. I am due the exact week that we have been planning to go, for three years. Ironic, isn't it? Needless to say, everyone else is going ahead with the trip. I would like to push it back until the fall, but with Jim teaching, Easter week is the only one that works for him. I feel like we did make a conscious decision, knowing we would probably miss this trip, but I still am really disappointed that we are going to miss it. And as you can imagine, E is too. She has been talking about seeing Mickey when she is six for the past 2 years.
So now it comes to our decision. Ed's parents have generously offered to take E with them, all expenses paid. It is a wonderful offer, but we are not sure how we will respond. For one thing, she will probably have a great time for the first few days, but I can see her getting homesick after that, especially as the week will be action packed and she will get exhausted. Another thing is that we will probably have a new baby right before they leave, or while they are away, and I'm not sure I want her gone for that. And the final reason is a little selfish-- I want to be there to see her reaction, and to be a part of that experience, I don't want to miss sharing in her joy and excitement. They will probably be buying the plane tickets soon and need our response, and we really don't know what to do. We don't want to deprive her of this opportunity, yet.... what do you think??

No comments: